The wall separating CR and LIVE room!?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Sen - It's tired and I'm late :=) so this is very crude (I just put your dwg into paint and butchered it) but it seems like if you could move the entry toward the kitchen some, you could waste less space and improve ergonomics by doing something like this... Steve

I forgot to put a door in the drum booth - you could either put the door where I chopped off the corner, or do a double slider setup in place of the window. A properly hung and caulked solid door would probably have about the same isolation as a pair of sliders, but would be cheaper.
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
Sen

Post by Sen »

Steve, that actually is a good idea as there is more space in the live room now...
would the "2 sets of double doors" scenario have good STC? I guess it should be OK if they have good seals.

thanks Steve...have a good rest

:)
Kind regards
Sen
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Sen, the STC of ANYTHING is largely dependent on tight fitting and proper seal. A 3 foot thick LEAD wall is still worthless if there are cracks/holes where it should be sealed.

I've got a lot of homework to take care of for a while, but I'll try to get some better examples for you of the ways doors are sealed effectively.

Here is one site with some things for study, Overly make some very good doors if you're rich (several thousand $ each) but I've learned a fair amount just from reading thru their site -

http://www.overly.com/doorCo/Education/Acoustical.cfm

And the tried and true SAE - click on construction, then doors/windows. The only change I'd make in the door pix is to NOT have any thru-latches - the loss in STC is noticeable, so I'd use magnetic seals with non-thru pulls.

http://www.saecollege.de/reference_material/index.html

Double doors are (to me, anyway) worth the agony of either expense or design time, if you're going to be moving a lot of gear in and out (commercial projects, etc) so it's worth the time it takes to research and design your own, if you can't afford $15k for two pairs of Overly double doors (that's just a guess, based on what their single doors run)

And you thought finding the MONEY for this project was going to be the hard part, din'cha??? Sympathetically yours... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
Sen

Post by Sen »

Steve thanks for the links..I'll check them out, and yes..enjoy the homework. They never end, do they. At least I enjoy these types of homeworks more than the ones back at school.
And yes, the money is allways the hard part, but we'll manage :wink:

Cheers :D
Kind regards
Sen