failed and very disappointed.....

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

charoo

more

Post by charoo »

more here....
charoo

more

Post by charoo »

more....
charoo

just last ....

Post by charoo »

end of the session
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Charoo, the pictures are fine, now we need descriptions to go along with them. Specifically, what materials, how they were assembled, etc - did you follow John's design EXACTLY, and if not what changes were made from his design, etc -

One thing that jumps out at me is the soffits - are those the speakers that are finally going to go into the soffits, or are they just there for looks until the real speakers are installed? Because if those are the actual speakers that will be there, then there is a serious communication problem.

Now that you seem to understand what will be required in order for us to help you effectively, please also understand that it will take several rounds of questions and answers to actually accomplish that goal... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
charoo

Post by charoo »

Dear Steve,

Thanks for the feedback. Well i almost followed the plan prepared by John. The materials used in control room are following:

Existing Building structure: Heavy Concerate Slabs (Plastered and Painted both side)

Walls : 2x1 timber framing and lined with 3" Insulation.

Ceiling: 2x1 timber framing and lined with 3" Insulation and finished with 12.5mm Drywall.

Floor: Just a concerate one and carpet still not layed.

Windows: 10mm glass on Control room side and 6mm glass on live and dead room side.

Well regarding the speakers in soffits were just there to check the sound leakage, finally Genelec 1032A will be there.

regards
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Hey Charoo - that looks great - my congratulations to you and the team :):) I love the cloth treatment, not sure what you did on the ceiling but if it's what I think it is It's fine. Yes Steve - the Genelecs will be going in the spaces and the amps below.

I suspect the leakage problems would be occuring through the window frames as I hadn't given Charoo detailing for the other side i.e. the studio as he was in a rush to get the control room finished so he can start installing the gear. The console is Charoo's design - cool eh??

just to fill everyone in on what's going on

I've attached the original plan from Charoo (2nd plan) and what we eventually came up with (version 7) (first plan)

cheers
john
charoo

thanks...

Post by charoo »

Thanks alot jonh.... its' just up to your guidance and support only. Well in ceiling there is a same 3" insulation which is finished with quilting... i have contatced a sofa maker and ask him to do so...

luv and regards
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Ah - looks like quilting - love the quilting in the window and I presume there's quilting under the speakers??

Looks like I'll have to start posting it in the construction site :):) Your bosses will love that ??

cheers
john
charoo

great idea

Post by charoo »

my dream comes true.... well its' ur studio...... do whatever you like. You have all rights.

regards
charoo

leakage

Post by charoo »

help me with leakage problem, well a person sitting in control room cant hear a discussion between two people in loud nor a person in live or dead room but as soon as i switch on the spekers and raise the gain leakage started ... i dont know what to do, how to identify and solve?
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Charoo, am I correct in thinking that this "leakage" is only in one direction? In other words, if there is leakage into the control room from the live room, that there is NOT leakage from the control room back into the live room?
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
charoo

one-way two-way

Post by charoo »

well i havent' checked by that angle... just rushing down to do so. but its' true a person yelling like anything can be hear from both side.

regards
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

"as soon as i switch on the spekers and raise the gain leakage started " -

Charoo, this statement tells me you've got a routing problem somewhere that is allowing a mic (or several mics) to get through your system and be heard through the speakers.

The DM-24 mixer (if that's what you're using) is a very complex piece of equipment and there are many possibilities for audio paths that could cause this problem - The first thing to do to ensure that this is what's happening, is to power off the mixer and see if the leakage goes away. If so, then you need to track down which input to the mixer is causing the leakage, then trace the internal routing thru the mixer for that channel until you find out how the sound is getting out to the speakers, and change the routing.

Even though I also own a DM-24, it has yet to see daylight so I may not be of much help in tracing things for you - Also, there are several different versions of firmware available for the DM-24 and they are all a little different. The newest one, V2.10, finally allows the 8 busses to be directly routed to the Stereo outs - I couldn't believe they left that out of the first batch, they must have been asleep.

If, as I suspect, you are looking at a mixer problem, you may need to post questions at the Tascam site - they tend not to be very understanding if you've not read the documentation first, so that would be a good start. If your paper documentation isn't the same version as your mixer is, then you would need to go to their site and download current docs - you can find them here -

http://www.tascam.com/products/digital_ ... /index.php

scroll down to the bottom of the page, there's a link to Drivers and Documentation - The DM has a way to tell you which firmware version is installed, but I don't remember it - if you don't see that info when the mixer is powering up, then you'll have to check the manual - it seems like there is a sequence of buttons to push to display that info.

If you're going to be the resident expert in your studio, I would STRONGLY recommend that you spend ALL your free time reading documentation on the gear you have - the newer crop of studio hardware DEMANDS that you get familiar with operating systems and STAY familiar by continual study and review. Once you're actually USING the gear for recording/mixing, then that experience becomes your study and review, but if you walk away from it for a few months you will start forgetting things.

Just make sure you have the documentation for YOUR particular firmware version - I would highly recommend that you take steps to update your mixer to V2.10 BEFORE you spend much time learning routing possibilities - they have CHANGED quite a bit through the various versions... Steve