Live (Studio) Floor

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

LDQ

Live (Studio) Floor

Post by LDQ »

I need some advice in to what type of flooring I should put on my live (studio). I had discussed with John S. that I would put a timber floor but after looking at the prices.. :shock: $$$ :shock: it can get kind of expensive...so with that being said can I get the same wood effect with a l-chipo synthetic flooring...I am not sure what material it is but the surface I believe has a very thin layer of wood or at least looks like wood, or what other options do I have (maybe parket).

Anyone?

Luis.
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Bruce has some nice flooring Luis - I'm not sure what he used - maybe he can help.

cheers
john
nukmusic

Post by nukmusic »

I going to use a thin vinyl floor that looks like wood floors. I seen it at Lowes, so Home Depot may also have it. I'll try to find link for you.

something like this but the one I'm getting comes on a 12 ft roll cut to the length you need.
**** http://www.armstrong.com/commflooringna ... tem_id=360
LDQ

Post by LDQ »

Thanks for your response nukmusic...I actually tought of doing the same thing but I am not sure how will vinyl affect the sound of the room. I kind of like the way percussion instruments such as congas and bongos sound with a wood floor and never tryied it with vinul flooring. I want to get a wood sound but the least expensive... Any one has some more suggestions...maybe Bruce.

Regards,

Luis.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Luis, so far I've only found NRC info on painted concrete and (real) wood; wood seems to average about .14 at 125 hZ, where concrete is close to zip - both are nearly identical at higher freqs, and I've not yet found #'s for vinyl. Wood is going to be even higher NRC if it's over a wood floor and therefore has some panel absorber tendencies.

Of course, all these #'s are for 90 degree incidence so mic placement is still critical... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
Blue Bear Sound

Post by Blue Bear Sound »

I used Birch Laminate flooring in my tracking rooms (supplemented with area rugs as needed).

I looked for the boxes of extras but can't find it off-hand... anyways, it was 2.99/sq ft (Cdn) and 9mm thick. They had a variety of finishes to choose from, and it was the only product at that price.

Stay away from the 1.29/sq ft stuff -- iit's complete crap!