Fibreglass board

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

bolehnggak

Fibreglass board

Post by bolehnggak »

Hi, I'm the guy with the rockwool question. :)

Still thinking of the cheapest way to treat my room. Now, I'm thinking of fibreglass board.
I read the coefficient chart in the John Sayers' recording manual, which stated that the 100mm thick fibreboard would absorb very even at most frequencies.
I wonder, is this a solid fibreglass board?
Because I was talking wih my friend about my ideas of treating my room, and when I said that most people use fibreglass board, he told me to buy fibreglass material, which is look like a stack of hays, the color is white, and the chemical liquid, that if they are mix together, and let them dry, they provide solid fibreglass cast.
Can I use them to make fibreglass board? If yes, it would be wonderful, they're cheap here.

Ari
AndrewMc

Post by AndrewMc »

The fiberglass board is dense fiberglass - same as the pink stuff in walls but much more dense. It's not the same type of fiberglass you make a fiberglass cast out of. You buy it in sheets ready to cut to size and use.

If you check the studio construction pages in Johns site there are a lot of photo's where you can see the dense fiberglass installed in walls.

Owens Corning 703 is a typical make but there are other manufacturers also.
Andrew McMaster
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Ari - you are not talking about this kind of product are you??

cheers
john