Building a Studio In My Back Yard <-- Need Building Help

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Josh Savoy

Building a Studio In My Back Yard <-- Need Building Help

Post by Josh Savoy »

I want to build a 35x25 recording studio/rehearsal space in my back yard. The main space will be 25x25, I figured that'd be enough to fit me, a guitarist, a bass player, and a drummer. Then I'd like to seperate this room from a 10x25 control room. The practice room needs to be soundproof'd, but I could care less about the control room.

I know nothing of building, or even starting a project like this but I'm heavily into the DIY mindset. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Word.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Josh, I admire your mindset but it will take more than that to do what you're proposing -

First, don't think I'm trying to discourage you from this, I'm not - it's just that even building a NORMAL, habitable building is a large project if you're not experienced in the many ways of building. Building a sound-proof (I don't use that term, since it can't be done) building is about like saying "I've never driven a car, but I'd like to race at LeMans next week, can anybody tell me what to watch out for?"

There are dozens of skills and hundreds of tools that are normally used by construction people on a daily basis, and before you start a project like this you need to at least know what they are, so you'll know which ones you can master on your own and which ones it's better to just save the money and hire done.

Here are links to two books you should buy and READ before you commit to anything further, they will give you a good overview of SOME of the things you'll need to know -

http://www.residentialarchitect-books.com/ra-wf950.html

That one is the least expensive book I've seen that has enough info to be worth it - that site has others, but all are more money.

Then,

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=books

That one will explain more of the differences in construction, as well as cover some acoustics info, etc -

Another good thing to do would be to check out all the various pix of studios under construction at John's site, just click on the John Sayers productions logo at the top right of this page, then click on EVERYTHING there. I know you're not talking about building anything quite as involved as most of those, but for sound "proofing" the principles are the same - if it won't float, it won't stop sound.

Doing something like your project can be a great boost to your self esteem, or it can be a real downer, depending on how well you prepare first. If, after looking through John's incredible collection of information, you still want to go for it, we'll be glad to help as much as we can.

Just so you'll know, though - none of us has enough "spare" time to teach you how to be a carpenter from scratch, there's just too many things involved (including the actual "hands on" experience). That's why I linked those two books - I'd recommend FIRST reading everything on John's other site you can get your mouse on (it's FREE), and THEN if you're still hot on the idea get (at least) those two books. Do NOT, repeat NOT, go out and buy a bunch of tools that "look cool", until you've gotten familiar with what does what, and why you can/can't live without them.

Once you've done EVERYTHING above (assuming you didn't either change your mind or find a really good friend that's a professional carpenter), then I can show you what's DIFFERENT about studio construction, sound ISOLATION , and good-sounding rooms - the first of which is, don't EVER build a square room (25 x 25, for example), or one whose dimensions will divide evenly into each other - the Everest Studio book will go into that a lot more. And, since sheet materials like plywood and sheet rock come in even multiples of 4 or 8 feet, people normally build (in your case) a 24 x 36 building, instead of 25 x 35. Comes out even for more efficient material usage... (That's one of the hundreds of new bits of knowledge you're about to gain - cool, huh?)

I hope I didn't scare you off or sound like I was trying to - I'm only trying to point out that this type of construction is hard enough for experienced builders to understand some of the reasons for, much less if you're starting with a "clean slate" - Still, it's very do-able and your DIY mindset is one of the essential ingredients.

Welcome to the forum; now, go check out those links and let's get started... :=) Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones »

Just to reiterate some of Knightfly's points:
Building a habitable structure is not something for the casual do-it-yourselfer.
There are numerous skills required. Just look at a typical housing crew. It requires Masons and concrete workers, carpenters, framers, electricians, plumbers, drywallers, A/C installers, roofers, and probably a host of others I'm leaving out.

Very few people, if any, posses all of those skills, so right off the bat, you're going to have to resolve yourself to the fact that some of that work is going to have to be contracted out.

Probably one of the most important steps is the framing. Ensuring that everything is square and plumb is a big part of the battle, and aids in the progressive steps of construction. It sounds a lot easier than it is too!

And a big part of the framing is having a familiarity with local building codes.
For instance, What size lumber is required for the header over a door? For a double door? What's the required stud spacing for a load-bearing wall? How high can a wall be without requiring fire breaks? Whats the spacing for trusses? For rafters? How thick is the sheathing for a roof? How thick is the sheathing for an exterior wall? What's the nailing pattern for exterior sheathing? How many anchor bolts are required on the sole plate, and what is their spacing?

You get the idea!

In a typical dwelling unit, the sequence of construction is pretty straight forward, but in studio construction, the sequence becomes somewhat blurred. Its an entirely different beast! and as such requires a different approach to planning and constrtuction.

If you're really interested in pursueing this, look into a building construction, or building technology course at a local community college. Then do some volunteer work for "Habitat for Humanity" or some agency like that.

Then you'll know if you still want to do it!
Once you've mastered some basic skills.