wall construction question

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

giles117

Post by giles117 »

I am late to the party, but no, I did not sub the celotex for drywall, the wall I built was 1/2" DW, 5/8" Celo, 5/8" Dwall.

Of course the other leaf was just 2 sheets 1/2" Dwall. All worked well for me. I wonder if I should have built the other wall with 1/2" celo, but like I said.......

It is working well, I will really know in two weeks when I start cutting drums again.

Currently I can crank my soffit mtd monitors to about 93db and go into the other room and hear nothing. :)

Bryan
cfuehrer

Post by cfuehrer »

Giles - What is your wall construction? Have any pictures?
Peace,

Carl Fuehrer
Pulsar Audio Lab
http://www.pulsaraudiolab.com
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

PLEASE READ MY ANNOUNCEMENT AT TOP OF THE FORUM...
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
giles117

Post by giles117 »

I havn't any pictures, however read steves announcement... :) I did glue my surfaces together. As I recall reading back in 98 that the screws will transmit sound.

Bryan

I Use OSI #38 Drywall adhesive. I screwed down the 1st surface and glued the subsequent one(s)

I use screws to mount the drywall till the glue sealed, then I removed the screwes and plugged all the holes with USG Acoustical sealant. (the second set. I use plain ole silicone on the 1st set of walls.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Yeah, I read about the screws several years ago too, then got sucked in by someone who really should know better - shame on BOTH of us... :oops: :oops:
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...