DIY "platfoam" / "hoverdeck'

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

zikaj

DIY "platfoam" / "hoverdeck'

Post by zikaj »

I know that Auralex uses a propietary foam/rubber for their 'Platfoam' line.

However, for the DIYer, will 1" neoprene work reasonably well? Or do we have to get into compression factors, weight bearing per cell of foam....etc....and all that stuff.

I'm just looking to decouple a drum set from the riser it sits on. I was going to go with some neoprene or other product and 3/4" plywood. Simple and affordable.

Thanks.

Jeff
"We are simultaneously the most loved, hated, feared, and respected nation on this planet. In short, we're Frank Sinatra." --Dennis Miller

Special thanks to the 73rd Ranger Regiment- you DO lead the way!
giles117

Post by giles117 »

1: Neoprene with a Durometer of 60 or greater should not have a problem with a floated drum riser.

Realize we float entire studio floors on 1/2" neoprene with a durometer of 60 to 80, so you should have no issues with a lightweight (in comparison) Drum riser

Bryan Giles

If you use open cell rubber, use a 1" thickness and you should be cool as well. I use open cell rubber for various applications (weight bearing) and compression has not been an issue either.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Generally, for a compression layer you need at least 15%, and not more than maybe 60% compression. Too little, and it isn't a spring anymore. too much, and it isn't a spring anymore.

If you're talking a total sandwich, I'd go with maybe a couple layers of that foam carpet pad that looks like somebody puked and they rolled it up.

If you get too close to the resonant frequency of the absorber, you AMPLIFY instead of ISOLATE. This can really bite you in the butt.

Whatever the original top of the riser is made of, is what I WOULD NOT use for the top layer - you want different materials/thicknesses for a different Coincidence Dip in order to avoid one particular resonance.

Another thing to do would be put rigid foam (the cheaper, Home Depot kind) up against the underside (before putting on the top) and press 2x4's up against it from underneath, fastening them in place to hold some tension against the underside. This will damp the panel and decrease ringing tendencies.

That's it for me, it's 3:19 am... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
zikaj

Post by zikaj »

3:19 am is 6:19 am here. I'm already at work. Yuk. This is unrelated, but funny-
I've been up since 4 am.

It was at that moment that my wife and I woke to the noise of some racoons outside our window. Weren't we suprise when we looked over to see one trying to get thru the screen and INTO OUR BEDROOM.

I was gonna blast it, but my wife made such a startling fuss it bolted. I think it was peeking in on us. Nude sleepers............. :shock:

JZ
"We are simultaneously the most loved, hated, feared, and respected nation on this planet. In short, we're Frank Sinatra." --Dennis Miller

Special thanks to the 73rd Ranger Regiment- you DO lead the way!