“Mastering Music”

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

migouel

“Mastering Music”

Post by migouel »

Dear Friend

I’m always saying that I’m building a new recording studio, but since I have joint this marvelous group I noticed that I’m wrong!
The room that I’m building will be for “Mastering Music” so it should be call a listening room instead, there might be the ode time were I will record myself on acoustic guitar for demo session but that's about it.
My question is should I go about the same construction concern for “quiet room / live room / ect…”?

Thanks

Alain
:shock:
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Alain, from what I've seen most REAL mastering engineers tend to go more for a "properly ratioed living room" than something like an RFZ or LEDE control room - they then outfit it with obscenely expensive speakers, high end digital and repeatable, "click stop" controls on analog gear.

They still treat their rooms, but very few seem to use non-rectangular rooms. It's supposedly an attempt to re-create, yet NOT create, an environment that duplicates, but DOESN'T duplicate, the environment where the music will ultimately be heard.

If you want a more thorough idea of what others are doing, I recommend getting a copy of Bobby Owsinski's book, The Mastering Engineer's Handbook - it's available from Amazon.com, along with an equally useful one, The Mixing Engineer's Handbook. The Mastering one has several interviews with major mastering guys in addition to tech information... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...