Temporary lapse

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

knightfly

Temporary lapse

Post by knightfly »

Hey guys, the new server is online but I'm not just yet - been buried at work, 12-hour days/nights plus extra time for new startup, barely had time to check email in the last week.

Sorry for the delay, but I should be able to answer your questions by sometime tonight (about 16 hours from now)

Thanks for your patience... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

relax - we haven't made it across yet as Peter is having difficulties -0 check out his post in my name in the design forum.

cheers
john
cadesignr

Post by cadesignr »

Hey Steve, I know the feeling. Maybe the overtime will help fill the toybox :D Don't work too hard. Like they say, "all work no play make.......cold beer and pretzels a staple" :P
fitZ
alright, breaks over , back on your heads......
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

"Maybe the overtime will help fill the toybox " - or, in this case, help pay someone else to fix the roof I probably won't have time to do before the serious rains hit :cry:

Speaking of projects, howzit goin' on the "lifestyles of the rich and famous" job - sounded like a pretty interesting place, it's amazing how the "other half" lives, huh?

Hope everything's cool with you, have you gotten the "founding crooks" of Coos Bay to commit on ownership of your/not your pole barn yet? I still think you'd get them to release it by asking them to take it and make it "official", considering they're not gonna want the headaches... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
cadesignr

Post by cadesignr »

Hello Steve, did you get my PM? I made the trip, and picked up the saw, and I've got to make another, maybe to LA, or Washington again :roll: depending on how other auctions go. I've got bids on a powermatic planer, jointer, and model66(like a unisaw) in LA, but if I don't win them, I'll do a buyitnow on the same in Auburn Washington. If so, maybe we could meet for a cold b....oops, how bout coffee and dinner, my treat. Just won a auction for big Italian(laguna)bandsaw. Cool. Resaw 9" stuff. Thats for this job I'm working on, and it is going TOO good. The contractor introduced me to another contractor who is building a house on the adjacent property. BIG$. Yea, the otherhalf. Makes me wonder. Ha! Anyway, this guy needs someone to do all the millwork. Right up my alley.
The polebarn issue is still up in the air. Haven't had much time to even think about it with this job, and setting up shop, and driving. Hell, that trip to Washington and back took 2 days. When I arrived to pick up the unisaw, the sellers partner was there and didn't know anything about it. He owned half of the equipment, and was PISSED :roll: Good thing I did a printout of the auction. So I got the saw and headed back. Stopped in Jefferson to call my wife and see if you got my PM. Figured you were gone for the weekend or working. Oh well. Another time maybe. Well, sorry the bla bla wasn't studio related. However, the tools ARE studio related. Ha! I will soon though. I mean, as if your not busy enough at work. But I'll pick your brain soon. Thanks Steve
fitZ
:D
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Tools are always cool - 'cept when there's no place to keep 'em - solved that one a while back, now if I can just find some time to round everything up, I think I can find room for it here...
cadesignr

Post by cadesignr »

OMG, those are totally cool! Where did you find those and what were they for? I bet those were some big $$. Stainless. Too nice. I love stainless stuff. I even have some 20 ga. 6" x 10' strips of brushed stainless for the wall base in the studio, IF I can ever get to it. Ha! Anyway,
My shop is in TOTAL disarray at the moment. And I have to start working on this job next week. As well as go to LA. to pick up the other machines.
AHHHHHHHHHHH! What did I get myself into! :roll: OVERTIME, thats what. :shock: And I know what you mean about room too.
My shop isn't that big. Not only do I have all my wood working stuff, my wife has all the printing and bindery equip too. Doggone, printing and sawdust doesn't EVEN go together. Time to put the thinking cap on.
fitZ

fitZ
DDev

Post by DDev »

Fitz,

You just need to think creatively about your 'workspace'. You're doing work for the "community" so why not setup a shop in the pole barn for machining operations, which will be the coverup for the underground studio that nobody knows is there.

HA!

My other hobby besides recording is woodworking, so I am green with envy over your tool acquisitions. I feel lucky right now to have a Craftsman table saw instead of the (uhum) Harbor Freight unit I used to have.

Let the chips fly (or get sucked up in the vacuum?).

Darryl.....
cadesignr

Post by cadesignr »

Hey Ddev, thanks and nice to see ya here! Well, I had to trade off getting a 3700, but since I like to eat :D and have no "real" studio as yet, I figured the money would be spent wiser on tools. Especially since I already have work for em.
Soooooo, on with the woodwork! Besides, I have a TON of Port Orford Cedar slabs out in the pole barn that I want to mill out for the studio. It is beatiful wood.
fitZ
ps, hey, it's nice to hear others are woodworkers here too!
DDev

Post by DDev »

I saw a post this morning over at hr.com from a guy who built a beautiful computer iso cabinet with a 4-6 space rack on top. It looked great. Looks like he might also be a guitar builder from the acoustic frame that was in the background.

Anyway, I have been spending so much time in the studio lately that I haven't had time to finish the table I started a couple of years ago. I think maybe I'll shoot for Christmas and surprise my wife.

Cheers,
Darryl.....
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

The stainless top/bottom mechanic's tool boxes are at Costco (at least the Albany OR one) for $699 top AND bottom. All drawers are ball bearing suspension, the top has dual gas shocks just like your Honda hatchback, comes with drawer liners and separate pairs of keys for top and bottom. The DEEP drawer on the top right side has lips for pendaflex folders, or it can be just a deep drawer. -

the RED one in the pic was $589 just for the bottom, matching top is another $500 (about) at Home Depot. Got that one first, saw the others and said "gotcha"... Steve
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Steve - it's all so neat and tidy - you MUST be a Virgo :):):)
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Nooo, actually I'm a Taurus - wanna see the REST of the garage? (BTW, those "tidy" boxes are currently EMPTY, except for the red one which is about 1/3 occupied) - there is another complete top and bottom (only 26" wide instead of 42") and another 26" top box that are full(and then some) and various tote boxes, piles, clumps, etc, that still need a "sorting party" - eventually, though, I hope to actually be able to walk to the correct box, open ONE drawer, and grab the tool I'm looking for (THEN, I'll apply for honorary Virgo status...) :wink:

None of this stuff works for carpentry tools though, I may end up building rolling benches (with locking casters) out of square steel tubing and incorporating larger drawers in those, with 1-1/2" wood tops for clamping, etc...

Right now, the only thing that saves me when I'm looking for something is a quasi-photographic memory - if my wife moves something, it can mess me up for days - :evil: ... Steve