Cheapest Construction

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

AWS

Cheapest Construction

Post by AWS »

Hi... I was wondering what about spend a little money in the floor construction... so.. I figure.. how could I do to have a semi floating floor without spending too much money. :? .. It doesn´t have to be "really" isolating... just to have a budget type of floor... the upper layer will be "pergo" comercial floating floor (10mm), and lower, a foam layer.

Thanks a lot!
I´ll hopefully wait for your answer!
(sorry for my english)

Fernando Musarra
AWS
"Some day, It will over"
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Fernando, first of all your English is fine - I would like to be even half as proficient at a second language as you are.

I didn't understand your comment about Pergo being a "floating" floor - the stuff I'm aware of is just floor tiles.

Generally, even a "semi" floating floor won't use foam, but something a little more solid such as so-called sound board, or Celo-tex, etc, for a "spongy" layer.

That type of floor I would NOT recommend if you're planning to float the walls on TOP of the floated floor, as you will likely get a buckled floor for your trouble. So, the floor would have to be contained WITHIN the walls if you go that route.

As I mentioned in the "air space" thread, it would help if I knew more about your surroundings, intentions, budget, and material availability, as well as whether you intend to build it yourself or hire it done, etc - there are just too many variables to make assumptions... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
AWS

Mateials - Budget - Intentions

Post by AWS »

Hi Steve!!!

First at all... I wanna thank you for the response, very fast!

When I was refferd to "pergo" I was trying to describe a layer of wood (plastic) simple that isn´t acoustic or isolating...
This thing "sound board" is hi density... like "Barrier" (hi-density vinyl rubber)

Next I´ll tell something about my project... I don´t really how to call it, if it is a project studio or a semi-professional studio. (I think that depends on the gear too :? )

Well... first, there is two rooms, control & live room.... sizes 9.2(l)x6.4(w)x4(h)m (lr) - 6x5.1x4 (cr)... As you can see, I try to follow the coeficients of modal constructios, it really make easier the construction.
My idea is to build the walls in the concrete floor, the other floor it will be buid inside the room perimeter (the walls are very heavy - too density).

All the opposite walls ar parallel, compose of Plasterboard (9mm) + Glass Wool (50mm) + Concrete Block (200mm).

The Floor has a comercial floating floor (it´s not a real floating floor) (20mm) with a very soft layer of foam (10mm).
The Ceiling has a Plasterboard (15mm) + Glass Wool (50 + 50mm).

Window is 2.5 (l) x 1 (h)... two glasses (4+4 & 3+3 laminated both).
Door (I have to do some design of this... I´m going to make it myself)

Soon as posible I´m going to post a plant draw with the perfect sizes so you can picture by yourself.

I really preciate your help!!! I love this forum!

Best Wishes!
Fernando Musarra
AWS
"Some day, It will over"
AWS

Photos & Plans

Post by AWS »

Hi Steve... I finally draw a floor sketch and a wall sketch.. take a look.

I hope that this helps!

Thanx a lot!
Fernando Musarra
AWS
"Some day, It will over"