help building studio

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

giles117

Post by giles117 »

Thanks Steve. I read the book they sent me.

All greek to me 'cept when they were talkin absorption Cf. But a rep told me the erroneous info.

Guess they need better training.

Bryan Giles

---

hey? Does it work? :)
steefann

Post by steefann »

Yesterday I was at my fathers farm and noticed that he had a lot of sand that he is thinking of dumping somewhere...
Would sacks of sand be useful when building bass traps for example? I can imagine they would do a pretty good job cause of their density....
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Actually, Stefan, what you need for absorption/trapping is a material that has lots of fibers (known as interstices) in a tight space, but still with air between them so the sound waves can "flow" between the fibers. Up to a point, the tighter the fibers the better the absorption. Beyond that point, the absorption gets worse.

Sand has virtually NO AIR between granules, so it acts more like solid material than absorbent. It would STOP sound if there were enough of it, but not TRAP sound... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
steefann

Post by steefann »

Ok, than I better let him dump it :)
Thanks again Steve.