Starting from scratch,newbie help needed!

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Cool "slot absorbers", Ben - they should have a pretty wide response :=)

Seriously, as long as the bolts don't pass clear through the brick and into the inner wall, there should be no problems.

The sliders would need to be each mounted in its own wall, as you already know - the more air gap the better, but 8" to a foot would work.

Is that really all the lower the new building will be in relation to the existing one? It seemed like more in the actual picture... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
Ben from Canberra

Post by Ben from Canberra »

knightfly wrote:Is that really all the lower the new building will be in relation to the existing one? It seemed like more in the actual picture...
Yeah, you're right. That drawing is really just to get things together in my head. The next one I do will have more accurate measurements, or perhaps it's time now to call a draftperson to assist...?
Four walls...check. Floor...check. Ceiling...check. Door...oh crap.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Might wanna hold off on the draftsperson til John comments on the wall construction using brick veneer -

John, what about it - in the aussie brick veneer walls you have "tiebacks" between the brick and the framing, right? If so, any comments about the effect on TL caused by the hard connection between brick and inner framed wall?

Ben, the reason I'm asking all this is that we may need to change parts of the wall construction because of this - if so, you'd be jumping the gun with a draftsperson til we know for sure what type wall construction would work best for you... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

I'm not sure if they use tie backs - I'll check it out today, there's a new place going up down the road :)

cheers
john
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Thanks John - Hey, found an attacthment by Senco that turns a regular screw gun into a "repeater" - works on Milwaukee, DeWalt and Makita (mine) About $50, sure beats $140 and up... Steve