SOUND-DEADENING BOARD

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

giles117

Post by giles117 »

Here yah go steve
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

OK, gotcha - same site, different page - keep in mind that they did refer to that dwg as "basic" - in this case, I think the reason they put the batts against the outer wall is because there's no practical way to get them up against the inner panels for damping when you're building "inward" from existing walls.

Then again, their high-priced "sound mat" stuff (aka soundblok, aka mass-loaded vinyl) would improve damping somewhat.

Mainly I think they just couldn't find a way to mount batts between studs and have them stay in snug contact with the inner wall leaf... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Gotcha, I was concerned about it not being mounted in direct contact with the Sheetrock wall being put up.

I will stick to what I know and plan, just was a different idea for me to check out.

I am doing a ceiling added to my existing ceiling... Studs/Mineral wool, Dwall/Celotex/Dwall.

Unfortunately it slpits an air space, but I am looking for an easy deadening apporach so I can reduce the sound of foosteps without carpeting the room above.