Venting a vocal booth

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

SKI

Venting a vocal booth

Post by SKI »

Hello, I am in the process of framing up a 4x6 vocal booth and was looking for solution to prevent the "sweat box" scenario.
It's in an existing environment so what I am after is venting the booth (not air conditioning it) without having too detrimental an effect on the isolation of the booth.
The isolation for the existing room is excellent but I am building the booth for isolation for monitor purposes.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

SKI - you need to build extension ducts so that you can have a quiet fan on the end of one that pushes (or pulls) air in or out. The extension duct will have insulation lining it to reduce the noise getting in or out.

cheers
john
SKI

Post by SKI »

Thanks John, I had originally planned to go with something along those lines with about a 100cfm fan but I hadn't really been able to find any duct that was made to reduce noise.
So basically I had the concept of building a frame for the duct to run through an insulating that to try a reduce noise injected into the duct.
Is there a grade of duct that you recomend?
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

SKI - I was basically suggesting thatyou build the duct yourself out of MDF or Plywood. Line it with insulation to silence the duct.

cheers
john