One Word Will Do - Bizarre Wall Idea

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Faderus

One Word Will Do - Bizarre Wall Idea

Post by Faderus »

Hi All,
It will only need a word …”don’t” will do fine, to talk me out of this idea.
Probably brought about by my intense excitement since the $ will soon arrive (d.v.) to enable me to start construction.
Have mentioned in earlier posts that am going to build in old wooden frame structure clad on outside only with ‘fibro’ – thin, asbestos-reinforced concrete. Following Steve’s invaluable advice, since outer skin is not airtight, am going to put wallboard x3 on inside, leave 0.5 metre space, and build my floating room within (3 more layers inside floating frame, rockwool outside).
I have an enormous pile of this ‘fibro’ stuff, broken into pieces of various sizes, and other rubble, due to the demolition and rebuilding of a similar structure – a large old laundry house, also in our backyard, which I recently completed to check that my rough carpentry skills were up to constructing the studio. Because of asbestos content, safe disposal of the fibro involves much hassle, but I was about to start when I had my silly brainwave; I also have also large quantity of old yellowtongue chipboard flooring which I had to cut out of future studio structure, exposing concrete slab, since bearers below rotten. Studio will be constructed with new flooring (x2). Here is my “newbie’s folly” idea.. ahem:
I’ll call the area between uprights and cross members (noggins?) on studio building a ‘section’. Treating each section separately, brace outside fibro skin with prop, screw to inside of section chipboard flooring leaving ‘letterbox-like’ opening at top, you’re probably way ahead of me and shaking heads in disbelief, post as much scrap fibro into section as it will conveniently hold, and the fill remaining volume with thinly-mixed quick-setting concrete. Thus creating a concrete wall in between wooden frame. The very thick floor slab would certainly bear the weight IMHO, and I guess if I started at the bottom, the frame would carry no vertical load. But I suppose the whole thing might come down like a ‘house of cards’.
Apols. again for my long-windedness.. maybe coz I’m English (a 'Pom' here in Oz :D ) and of a certain age.
I really had to think before revealing the depths of my ignorance with this post. Like I said, one word will do.....
Thanks,
F. (Faderus Pengiles Quadrant)
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Faderus Pengiles Quadrant :) I believe it is illegal to work with any material containing asbestos in Australia. To demolish a building containing asbestos cement you require a special licence and such a service is very expensive. Correct me if I'm wrong on this one. :)

cheers
john
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

On top of which, you're right - it's a really dumb idea (even if it WERE legal, which I doubt). I would know about the dumb part, I've had my share... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
Faderus

Post by Faderus »

Thanks for the advice folks...dumb idea indeed!
Re licence part, I've no idea, but it is a fait accompli, and have already been in touch with tip who will happily take fibro if correctly wrapped.
Cheers
F.
Faderus

PS

Post by Faderus »

BTW, My entire house is constructed of fibro, as is every house in my area, and folk appear to be doing renovation work on their homes constantly. Hard to know what else to do since when these old houses constructed, nobody was aware of asbestos danger. I have worn mask and hosed constanly with water when doing my little bit.
Again, thanks for the warning :(
F.
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

The best thing is to build over it which is probably what your neighbours are doing. You'll find that they are putting colourbond roofing OVER the existing fibro roof, same with the external walls. :wink:

cheers
john