Floating floors question....

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Rking401

Floating floors question....

Post by Rking401 »

Looking here: http://www.soundcontrolroom.com/photos/ ... john_m.htm at the picture labeled "Floor Frame" should not the floor frame have been installed before the walls and the walls floated with the floor to achieve best results? It appears here that they built the walls up from the main floor rather than the floating floor, thereby coupling the walls with the object they were trying to de-couple from. Am I correct? :?:
giles117

Post by giles117 »

The ultimate question I think is... Did they decouple the walls when they built them. Ideally you float the walls on the "floated" floor structure....

Bryan

I built a place where I floated the walls 1st then built the floor, but had it floated and isolated from the walls as well. It worked. (I did it by mistake... Was in too much of a hurry.)
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

I've seen both ways used, even by companies like kinetics - but I agree, floating the walls on top of the floor should give better isolation. I couldn't tell from the "finished" pix whether they built secondary walls on top of the floor after the pix or not.

I also wasn't too thrilled with the "resilient channel OVER the soundboard", unless there is no "skin" on the other side of that wall it's going to be a "triple leaf" construction which isn't the best use of materials.

Pretty impressive control room overall for a "singer-songwriter" studio... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...