Existing Blueprints for New Construction?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Styles Bitchly

Existing Blueprints for New Construction?

Post by Styles Bitchly »

Hello Folks,

First of all, I'm brand-spankin'-new to this forum, so please be gentle. :) I did a search on the forum, but did not find the answer I was looking for, so I'm hoping someone can help.

I've decided to move my existing gear from the two bedrooms it now occupies within my home, and build a studio in my backyard. I'm trying to go the cheap route, and by-pass the architect. So, I'm looking for blueprints of small studios that I can submit to the City of Phoenix for approval. I could just build the thing without a permit, but I'd like for it to be legal. If I decide to sell my house someday, it would be a nice addition. Any advice?
Life is a poop sandwich - but if you use enough bread you don't taste the poop!
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Styles, maybe John can set you up - he's done plans for others, maybe if there's something that's already done that you like, you could work a "cookie cutter" deal or something - I'll let John get into that part (or not)

Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Have you checked out the Studios Under Construction site??

http://johnlsayers.com/Studio/index.htm

there are various layouts etc there. Unfortunately I'm not aware of the building codes in the City of Phoenix, mind you I assume all you would need to submit to them is the construction, positioning of the outer shell which you'd call a garage or sumthin similar. Then build the studio inside unapproved :)

cheers
john
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Yeah, same around here - actually, if you called it a "shop", that would explain why the double sheathed outer walls (I don't want to disturb the neighbors" and the "load-in" area, the separate power requirements, the bathroom (wood-working makes me thirsty, and...) 8) 8)
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly »

I did check out the "construction" forum, which is very cool by the way, but I didn't see any actual blueprints. Maybe I need to scan it a bit closer. Hey, great web site, you guys. I'm very glad I stumbled onto this. I'll let you know how I make out, and I'll be sure and post all my information/pictures once I start construction. Take Care.
Life is a poop sandwich - but if you use enough bread you don't taste the poop!
giles117

Post by giles117 »

What John is suggesting is the floor plans, you use one of those to decide what yah wanna build. ANd just have the city approve you for a Garage (with electricity) or as steve says a Wood Shop.

Bryan Giles[/b]