protable recording booth

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

bikester

protable recording booth

Post by bikester »

hey i rent a house right now and i was wondering if there is a good way to make like a 60"x50" recording booth that isnt bolted to the floor or roof. it willl be used for drums and vocals. i was wondering what i need to accomplish this. thanks for you help.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

"what i need to accomplish this" - First of all, some REALLY SMALL drums - I've never been able to get a playable drumset into much smaller than about a 6' x 8' space, unless they were just being stored there...

Companies like Wisperroom make portable booths from about 4' square up to drum size, but you'd have to be rich - they go from about $3500 up to probably $20k, depending on size and isolation. They are available with or without casters, ventilation kits, windows, etc -

The trick here is isolation AND portability in the same package - isolation takes MASS and fairly thick walls, all of which make for UN-portable. Drums especially are hard to isolate, even with thick, PERMANENT walls. Anything you could put a drum kit into, play it, and not hear much from outside, would take a fork lift to move, or at least 3-4 NFL linemen.

Sorry, but I don't think I'd even attempt to do what you're asking, at least when you include drums in the picture... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...