Home-made replacement for Owens Corning 705?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

sauceman

Home-made replacement for Owens Corning 705?

Post by sauceman »

I'm having a really, really hard time finding semi-rigid fiberglass insulation, so I got to thinking. Is there any reason why I can't make my own panels?

Something like this:
- make a thin, lightweight frame to hold batts of fiberglass (or rockwool) insulation
- cover the insulation with something to keep fibers from escaping (thin plastic or tightly woven fabric)
- cover that with the cloth of my choice
- apply them to the walls and/or ceiling

Would that work or is there something special about the semi-rigid boards that I won't be able to duplicate with my home made boards?
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Rockwool could be substituted OK, and would give about the same results - you might have to change mounting methods depending on whether the rockwool you have access to will stand on its own (I think most types will)

The fluffy kind of fiberglas has nowhere NEAR the density of the rigid board types, so won't have nearly the absorption.

Try checking your local COMMERCIAL drywall/insulation contractors for Knauf insulation - they also make a semi-rigid fiberglas board that's slightly BETTER at lower frequencies than the Owens Corning... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...