Gracie Studios -- Fort Worth, TX

Discuss studios designed and built by others.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

kevinsimons

Gracie Studios -- Fort Worth, TX

Post by kevinsimons »

Hello Audiophile Friends -
My name is Kevin and I'm building a studio in my home. I joined this forum about 4 months ago and have bought Rod's invaluable book to help me along the way. This forum has proven very useful and I would like to thank you all for your help! Here is the drawing Kendale provided for my use in designing the studio. I gave this to the architect and we did our best to apply his ideas.

Here are some pics of the construction process... enjoy!!

First couple of pictures are of site prep and foudation setup.[/img]
Last edited by kevinsimons on Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
tmix

Congrats!

Post by tmix »

Howdy Neighbor!
It is always exciting to see a new build.
The pictures need to be resized smaller so that they can be seen better, you have to scroll all over the place to see it!

I wish you luck.
I am in the finishing stages on my project, it took me 2 years!
All I lack is the drum room wall treatments and I'll be done.

You on the other hand have a ton to look forward to.

How much of this pour is going to be the studio?

Tom
Tom Menikos
T-Mix Studios
Mansfield Tx
kevinsimons

Post by kevinsimons »

Hey Tom,
I've seen your name out there on this forum and wondered where you were located. I'm actually north of Fort Worth in Haslet. Nonetheless, the total room size that I've split is 26x19. Control Room is 12'x15' with 10' ceiling. The live room is 12' 6"x19' with 10' ceilings. There is a hallway behind the control room that is also part of the live room... if that makes any sense.

The rockwool was just installed and they are installing drywall today. I have quite a bit to go I know, but it's probably a lot closer than I think. The home construction project is scheduled to complete before September.

I'll drop more pics in and I'll try to adjust the sizes so they're more easily viewed. Thanks for the feedback.

Kevin
tmix

Post by tmix »

Great!

I look forward to your build!
Tom Menikos
T-Mix Studios
Mansfield Tx
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Kevin - I've resized your pics to the 700px limit for the forum. Please keep further pics to this size.

Good luck with your build.

cheers
john
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha Kevin,

Congrats on the start of your build! Looking forward to more pics of your progress.

Aloha 8)
Jerry Maguire: Help me... help you. Help me, help you.
kevinsimons

more pictures...

Post by kevinsimons »

Hello again -
Sorry about those pic sizes. I realized after I had posted them that they were WAY too big, but didn't get a chance to re-size. I did however re-size the pics I'm about to post. So enjoy!!

First set is the house being framed.
kevinsimons

exterior walls - last part of framing

Post by kevinsimons »

Here are some pics of the plywood going up on the exterior of the house. We live in tornado alley, so our builder uses plywood around the whole exterior of the home instead of therma-ply. He's from the "old school" of construction.
kevinsimons

roofing...

Post by kevinsimons »

More pics of the construction project... you can see the actual studio/office entrance a little better in this pic because the exterior walls are more defined.
kevinsimons

insulation

Post by kevinsimons »

Pics of the insulation (rockwool) being installed in the studio. This is a better picture of the window between the two rooms thanks to the insulation. There's also a window in the front wall of the control room that looks into the office that you can see in the pics too. I believe the dimensions of that window are 3ft x 5ft.
kevinsimons

resilient channel

Post by kevinsimons »

We had a coupling issue with the ceiling, thanks to the lumber package and framer design, so we hung resilient channel in both the control room and live rooms. I didn't get any pictures of them hanging the drywall because I had to be in the office the day they hung it.
tmix

Post by tmix »

Man!

It is really coming along fast.
It took me over 2 years to build mine.

With stuff going up that fast Ihope you took good pics of all the walls and ceilings before the sheetrock was up.
Maybe you are lucky enough to have detailed plans.

When it comes time to hang acoustic treatments, it sure is nice to know where all the wood is!

I had one of those "super-duper" sonar stud finders, but even THAT had problems locating wodd buried under an 1-1/4" of drywall.

Keep us informed.

Tom
Tom Menikos
T-Mix Studios
Mansfield Tx
kevinsimons

dry-wall in-stall

Post by kevinsimons »

Enjoy these pics of first layer... then second layer with green glue application. The second layer of 5/8" drywall went up in 4x10 sheets, so there were fewer seams in the vertical layer of drywall. The first layer was sealed with OSI acoustical sealant, 4x8 sheets of drywall.
kevinsimons

vertical 2nd layer of drywall

Post by kevinsimons »

You can see the second layer of drywall in the door frame and the vertical seam. First layer was horizontal, second layer is vertical.
kevinsimons

airspace in double-wall cavity

Post by kevinsimons »

Here are a few pics of the airspace between the double walls with insulation installed. Insulation used is 3" rockwool, no paper.