Can I soundproof and get AC for $10k in my garage?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

thelivingexample

Can I soundproof and get AC for $10k in my garage?

Post by thelivingexample »

Halo..

I posted a message earlier about possibly building an addition on my house, and got some great advice, but that may not be possible now. I will attempt to attache a JPG of a horrible drawing of my garage and dimensions. I was told by someone that the control room may not have to be soundproofed if the monitors are not very big. 9 times out of 10 I will be the one playing instruments and won't be in there monitoring anyway, so that isn't a big deal. My mian concern again is soundproofing so my neighbors don't call the cops at 3am while I am playing my drums.
Please take a look at the pic and let me know, albeita teeny control room and close to getting there small live/recording room, if I can soundproof it, buy an AC unit, and fit a drum kit, a full guitar stack, a bass stack, vocal amp and lik 3 stools in the live room for $10,000.(I already own the music gear)

Thanks again in advance for everyone's advice/experience.

Also, someone mentioned heatpumps for AC and heat, do they make ones that aren't 10 grand each?

Thanks,
Jim
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Jim, I wasn't really ignoring you even though it may seem so - just for your info, proper BBS ettiquette asks that you not post the same question in several places on the same BBS - virtually ALL of us moderators do this as a service, not as a job - if we have to try and track multiple threads across different forums to see what's already been said, it takes even MORE of our "free" time; time that could either be spent on our OWN projects, or on helping others. I'm not trying to be a hard-ass, just letting you know what's appreciated and why...

Also, I had already seen your identical posts on Home Recording and saw that you were getting quite a bit of help both there, and here on the Design forum. Sooo, if you go back to those threads and post your questions there, you'll probably get the most continuity of answers.

Thanks for understanding... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
thelivingexample

Post by thelivingexample »

Hi..

Sorry about that. I thought that since the situation changed to a different scenario, and that I may have posted in the wrong place (design versus construction) that i should post it here.
Also, I was hoping to grab some thoughts from people that knew about this site that didn't know about homerecording, but I am quickly learning that if someone knows about one, they eventually learn abotu the other.

Also, I didn't think I was beign ignored by anyone. I figured that if someone reads it, they read it and don't have to give a response, but that si really cool that the moderators try to answer everything.

Thanks again!
Jim