Balanced Power? U can call me stupid

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

jammin dad

Post by jammin dad »

i've been lurking about for a few weeks trying to learn all i can for my own project .i'm a little confused on what excatly is balanced power.and what are the pros and cons . thanks john
I'm doing the best i can
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

Here's a couple links...

http://equitech.com/
http://furmansound.com/pro/blncd/index.htm

Basically put, balanced power is set up in the following config...

Normal power uses Hot, Neutral, Ground. With 120v (or 110v) on Hot.

When balanced power is used, it has 60v on hot, and has -60v on Neutral (out of phase w/ the hot side).

That's the extreme basic. Now in order to achieve this, you need toroidal transformers in line.

Here's another link: http://www.toroid.com/standard_transfor ... ormers.htm

Hope this helps. :D
jammin dad

Post by jammin dad »

thanks for getting back so quick.would balanced power be a protocal for a home project studio.it'll be for personal use and maybe basementband demo recording.maybe i should of been more clear on my questions.thanks ,i'm really loving this site :D :D :D
I'm doing the best i can
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

For a small project studio, it's not usually necessary, especially w/ the cost of them. As long as you have good grounding, you'll usually be ok. But if you have a ground issue, you may consider one. You can buy the rack mount units, but they start at over $1000.00 for most of them.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Dad, you may also want to thoroughly read the thread on star grounding in this forum; I've tried to explain the need for a common ground point with no loops, this can be done almost for FREE and makes a lot of difference... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
jammin dad

you guys are awsome!

Post by jammin dad »

i didnt think i would need it but just want to cover all bases.the star grounding i understand,my dad was a electrican but sadly he left this world several years ago.so i have to get my info elsewhere.thanks again guys :D
I'm doing the best i can
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

My Dad was an electrician too; passed away in 1973, and I STILL miss him... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...