STC...

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Sen

STC...

Post by Sen »

Does anyone know where that STC chart of different wall constructions is?? I found a link to it in one of the threads but it's not working :? ..
You know the one that's been dragged around here for a while...
I'm just interested in what the STC of a double brick wall (rendered both sides) would be...(no gap b/ween bricks)...

thnx
Kind regards
Sen
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Here's the chart I think you were referring to, but there's no double brick wall -

http://www.saecollege.de/reference_mate ... 0Chart.htm

For a double thickness, single leaf brick wall, you can just add 5 dB to a single thickness wall. Doubling the mass, with no other "tricks", gives less improvement than if you incorporate an air space and put insulation between the walls... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
Sen

Post by Sen »

Thanks Steve,
I was refering to another chart, but this one (which I knew existed but forgot about) is even better...
I don't want to have an air space between bricks, because that would give me three leaves and two air gaps after I put up the internal stud wall...I went with the theory of two leaves of mass -- one air space, eventhough I am still in doubt about that one sometimes :wink:
cheers
thanks
Kind regards
Sen
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Sen, believe the 2-leaf thing, everything I've seen since Eric first mentioned it on the Yahoo site has supported it.

As to your walls, you cheated and didn't mention the REST of the construction - if you do a double thickness brick wall, then air/insulation, and a stud frame with a second leaf on one side of that frame, you should have a really good wall setup. Even though the STC rating of such a wall might not sound like it's much better than other designs, the REAL performance for Music Transmission Loss will be better because of the high mass in the bricks. Combine that with a 2 or 3 dissimilar layered, partly resilient stud wall, and you should have VERY good isolation at ALL frequencies.

Have you ironed out your differences with the Bumbling BureauCrazy yet? I haven't noticed any more plans or ideas from you, just curious... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
Sen

Post by Sen »

Hi Steve,
Yes everything seems to have fallen into its place..I didn't want to anoy anyone with any more plans or questions until I'm set to go.
It looks very promising that I will be able to do the concrete slab and double brick wall. Didn't expect all the documentation fees to add up to this much , but hey..I'm happy that something is happening. :D
The architect i'm dealing with is a very good man and he's taking care of everything (he's got the engineer for me, the land surveyor for the permit) so I'm hoping for the best. He's shown it as a "workshop/hobby room" to the surveyor, and the response was "Shouldn't be a problem!"
I am happy with the fact that I'm actually getting the permit just for the four walls and the roof, and then I can do whatever I want inside...
Proposed dimensions are 11.6 m X 7m....should have enough room...
Yeah back to the point....I thought that my wall structure would give me decent results, and yes, I will have a "triple leaf plaster walls" inside...
So yeah..the ball's rolling again...I have a few questions still, but won't ask them yet until I'm 100% sure I'm going ahead with it...

cheers...thanks
Kind regards
Sen