vocal booth acoustic treatment

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

Cottonmouth

vocal booth acoustic treatment

Post by Cottonmouth »

:?
I am currently underway constructing a home studio. I have a question about where it would be best to put acoustic treatment in my small vocal booth. The 4 and 6.5 foot walls are actually 10" concrete walls and are very reflective. I plan on furring out about 2 inches and hanging sheetrock, but I am sure this will not fix the entire problem. I want to use a combination of high freq and mid/low freq treatment but don't know where the best postitioning would be. Also, since it is a vocal booth should the ceiling be treated as well? Please forgive my poor drafting skills.
Ethan Winer

Re: vocal booth acoustic treatment

Post by Ethan Winer »

Cotton,

I don't think a vocal booth needs anything as heavy-handed as an extra wall layer. That affects only very low frequencies, far below what anyone could ever sing! Most vocal booths just use fiberglass or foam or whatever all over, which is sufficient for vocal frequencies.

Though if you plan to stick a bass or guitar amp in there occasionally, that's a different matter.

--Ethan
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

The main thing is to not kill the highs and to make sure you lower the low-mids.

Maybe try something like this

The slot at the bottom will stop the parallel walls and the slots will keep the highs diffused.

Cheers
john
Cottonmouth

Post by Cottonmouth »

Thanks guys that's just what I needed. I'll be sure to post some pics when I get finished.

Cottonmouth
krish

wow...

Post by krish »

nice plan.... i have same situation with my vocal booth but i have 2 opposite wall angled from centre to near about 9-10 degree...... can i use these angled wall as slot resonator..... i think cloth (some rough and burlap stuff) and the angled walls are good enough to absorb highs and the resonators would be better at low mids? Well i have a initial thought for slot resonator: As i read at SAE making lots' of holes on surface like drywall and plywood acts as a good resonator, i am willing to cut lots' of medium size circles on drywall I think, it gives a good look also and same time it works optimum too. Can i proceed ?

Krish
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

krish - is there an airspace behind the angled walls - there must be if you want to create a slot resonator. Burlap on it's own won't absorb many highs, the cloth usually covers 3" - 4" od insulation behind it.

cheers
john
krish

air space

Post by krish »

thank you very much for replying John!

I have a space behind angled wall 50mm to 150 mm. So are you setisfied with my plan for broadband slot resonator?

cheers
krish
Ro

Post by Ro »

John,
I was wondering what kinda piece of software you use to draw those nice construction plans??

kind regards, ro
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

I have a space behind angled wall 50mm to 150 mm.
That will work, krish.

ro - I use a drawing program called Smartdraw. http://www.smartdraw.com You can download a trial version for free if you want to try it out.

cheers
john
krish

final plan for slot resonator

Post by krish »

John Please Check out this plan :

I already have a standard drywall ceiling, insulation underneath. The other two contrasting wall have insulation covered by cloth. In case of floor the carpet is there.

cheers
Krish
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

I'm not sure about using drywall for the slots

check out the perforated board Sjoko used in his studio

cheers
john
krish

check it

Post by krish »

Hey John!

Check if it will work for slot resonator...... although its' made by the same content unsed in drywall.

have a nice day
Krish
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

yes it would work BUT it's all the one frequency - you need to vary the hole sizes to get a decent broadband absorption.

cheers
john
krish

timber slat

Post by krish »

First of all i would like to know whether room shape and dimension affects the vocal environment also or not? John I have seen some great slot resonator made by you for your clients, can you have any case study related to it. I would like to use it for my vocal booth, if you will allow.

Krish
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

can you have any case study related to it.
what do you mean Krish??