Any other 'classical' composers out there...?

Get your "what mic?" frustration or "have you heard" out here. The language could get real okka in here mate.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

sdgard

Post by sdgard »

... if so, you will know why I strung the word classical up in scare quotes.

I compose and record Art music, and I'm currently remodelling my garage to do so. I work mostly with soprani, strings, and woodwind, and I'd like to discuss recording and studio construction issues with others whose interests don't focus on screaming ES330s, thundering double Premier sets, or tunka-thunka Fender basses... is there anyone out there? Or am I the only such lonely soul here?

Question 1. My soundproofing issue is not how to keep a 1,000 watt Marshall bass amp's stentorian voice IN, but how to keep rednecked neighbour's barking dogs, machine-gunning motorcycles, bellowing commercial radio boom-boxes and daily domestic rioting OUT of my studio. A Court Order won't do it - none of them can walk erect, much less read, bless 'em, and would just elicit the Redneck Riposte (both barrels of the shottie) - but I was wondering more along the lines of sheeting my interiors with Soundchek or something Hebel...?

I'm Australian, so we must speak of centimetres, 240 VAC with neutrals linked, and CSR's gyprock products.

Stephen Gard
Aaberg

Post by Aaberg »

I'm going to try this again. The first message didn't post...perhaps that's why you've gotten no responses.
So, even though your main need is to keep out the sounds around the studio, the basics are the same, so I recommend going to the regular building site and doing your research there. Good stuff abounds.
Best,
Phil
giles117

Post by giles117 »

I echo that. the same process to keep sound in is the same process to keep sound out. :)
Bryan Giles

FOH Live, Live Remote & Studio Engineer
Producer

Just living life and having fun with all this talent YHWH Elohim has given me.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Yeah, sound proofing is the same for any sound, either direction - only difference is the degree - if your neighborhood has heavy, low frequency sounds you're trying to keep out, no diff from trying to keep bass and drumss IN -

However, for more acoustic oriented music your acoustic treatment of the room AFTER isolation has been taken care of will likely be different; acoustic and chamber music tends to need a more live feel, so you'll need to be careful not to get too short a RT60 (reverb time) and may want more in the way of diffusion than a "rock" room... Steve
marchia609

composing and recording

Post by marchia609 »

I would suggest not changing your garage into a recording studio. I have been composing music for years and I found this website online that has been recording my music professionally and I havent had any problems or complaints with it.

Here, check it out if u want.

www.recordhall.com

It has prompt service and they modify your compositions to sound exactly the way you want it. I focus on strings and on piano compositions. Maybe we can chat more. Here's my email:
marcee@martilab.com

Byes!

Post by Guest »

Anonymity of a SOCKS Proxy. As SOCKS (as it was already marked above) transfers all data from a client to a server, nothing adding from itself, from the point of view of a web-server, a socks proxy is a client. Therefore anonymity of this type of proxy servers is very high.: http://www.checkproxy.net