Requesting design ideas for small studio design

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

kloudaman

Requesting design ideas for small studio design

Post by kloudaman »

Greetings All!

I am very pleased to have just found this site and forum. This is an excellent forum for information and idea exchange!

I am looking for ideas on how to complete a 24' x 30' small studio that I am planning on building. I have been reading and studying as much as I can about studo construction but find I am requiring some assitance.

The studio will be used for contemporary music production both acoustic and synth percussion and I would prefer to use near field monitors w/sub vs mid field in flush mount if possible (already have 2 pair!). I have a few multiltrack DAW's and some keyboards to situate in the control room and would like a seating/crash area for players and guests.

The studio will be in a residential (rural) setting and I am hoping to build the external structure as follows;

24' x 30' X 9' with a 5/12 pitch roof vaulted ceiling to about 12' inside concrete floor and split block (sand filled walls) I had planned on concrete block walls to separate the control room and iso booth from the live studio.

I would like a live room, iso booth (for vocals) and a storage/mechanical room for HVAC and electrical. I am not planning on a lavatory as I have one located in the house a few feet away, but could have a snack counter located somewhere in the facility.

My budget is not unlimited and I am willing to think and work creatively.

Any floor plan help or dimensional considerations for the layout would be greatly appreciated, I've had a few thoughts but I am not thrilled with my lack of ideas.

Thank you in advance

Regards,

Paul
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Paul - take a look at the studio plans page at this site:

http://www.saecollege.de/reference_material/index.html

you may get some ideas there.

cheers
JOhn
kloudaman

Post by kloudaman »

Thanks for the information John.

I have been perusing your site and others suggested on this forum.

It has been very helpful.

Regards,

Paul
Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones »

Here's a floor plan of one I'm building:
This one is 30'x40', but you could kind of scale it down and have it still be proportional.
Might give you some ideas anyway.
It has 10' walls, with a vaulted ceiling. The outside roof pitch is 7-12, and I'm not sure what the inside roof pitch is, but it gives me 16' ceilings at the peak.
Its 2x4 staggered stud constrruction on the outside walls, and double walls on the interior (except for the kitchen and bath)
Turnip

Post by Turnip »

Michael Jones wrote:Here's a floor plan of one I'm building:
This one is 30'x40', but you could kind of scale it down and have it still be proportional.
Might give you some ideas anyway.
It has 10' walls, with a vaulted ceiling. The outside roof pitch is 7-12, and I'm not sure what the inside roof pitch is, but it gives me 16' ceilings at the peak.
Its 2x4 staggered stud constrruction on the outside walls, and double walls on the interior (except for the kitchen and bath)
DAMN YOU AND YOUR EXCELLENCE!

Translation: bitchin' layout. Looks like typical Civil Engineering CAD work. ;)
Turnip
turnipville.com