Phantom???

Get your "what mic?" frustration or "have you heard" out here. The language could get real okka in here mate.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

acknowledgeyaboy

Phantom???

Post by acknowledgeyaboy »

i have read you would need a phantom to make any condensor mic work..i dont really know what it is, or get whats the purpose of it..is it essential??..i dont know, i need some answers...can you guys help me out??..because im thinking of buying a condenser mic soon.....
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Hi mate - welcome to the site.

Phantom power is when the microphone gets'd it power feed down the same line as the audio signal runs

Check out this page at the SAE

HERE

cheers
john

BTW - could you please update your profile and add where you are from.[/url]
mixx

Post by mixx »

if you need a awesome [best i have heard in 30 years] --mic pre test the Mellennia HV 3D

http://www.professionalrecording.com/Mi ... /HV3D.html

the tranisient respone and damping sounded incredible...and ass well as hear it it was fun to look at the attack picture in a proTools edit window as opposed to other mic pre's using a common source
30 years in and numerous awards and just learning simple wiring
chinocurva

Post by chinocurva »

Hi, acknowledgeyaboy!

Yes, because of construction (electronic circuitry, etc.), condenser mics need to be fed.
The most usual source is a 48V one, generally "embedded" in the console (some of them with an ON/OFF button), though, like Mixx said, you can plug your mike trough a preamplifier rack that will give the necessary feeding, and then redirect the output to, lets say, a regular computer IN.

Hope it clarifies.

Regards,

Chino.
"Andar significa ir lejos. Ir lejos significa retornar." (Tao Te Ching)

www.chinocourvoisier.com.ar