Panel Trap side effect

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

feni

Panel Trap side effect

Post by feni »

What seldom is told:
A panel trap can be a good and space saving low frequent absorber, but simultaniouly this absorption is at the expense of the insulation of the wall on which it is mounted (mass-spring), and on a drywall it will shift in frequency (depends on mass ratios) and creates a triple leaf system.
Conclusion:
A panel trap tuned to a specific frequency in order to increase insulation is counter productive and has the REVERSE effect as intended.
Dear Mr Desart
I think this is a very important information for me and all other DIY-ers, because a lot of these panel absorbors are already builded, for DIY-ers this Panel is easier to build and relatively cheap!. So in order to continuesly taking the same risk as mentioned, Pls. Mr. desart or anyone can suggest us a way to SOLVE the Reverse Effect this type of panel made ?
For some one who already build these kind of modules what can we do, shall we take them off the wall and treat them as a stand alone panel ?
And which bass trap or menthod with less side effect ? Hopfully they can be DIYed !
Thanx !
PS. Mr. Desart should stay with this forum and give us more valuable infor.