Glass for windows..

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

murphy077

Glass for windows..

Post by murphy077 »

Hi!!

Which glass I must to use for the windows??

I read in some books that it's laminated glass for windows, One side of 8mm. and 10mm. for the other glass. The 10mm. glass how many laminated must to be (5mm + 5mm or 3mm + 3mm + 2mm + 2mm......)??

Or I can use the normal 10mm and 8mm glass for a window??

Thanks a lot.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

You can use regular glass, if it's not near a working door - then you need (by codes) safety glass of some type such as tempered or safety glass (laminated)

Laminated glass has roughly 2-3 dB better STC than the same thickness of plate glass, but is more expensive.

As to thickness, in order to come as close as possible to the STC of the wall each glass needs to be roughly 1/3 of the TOTAL thickness of ALL layers of drywall on that particular side of the wall. This is because glass is approximately 3 TIMES the mass of drywall, which you're trying to match.

If you're using other than drywall for wall layers, you should (ideally) compensate for the mass change and maintain the same mass in the glass as is in the wall leaf.

These things aren't cast in stone, but will get you as close to your particular wall performance as possible - there's no sense in building a wall that's capable of STC 63, and then crippling it with too thin glass... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...