Sliding Glass Doors?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Breck

Sliding Glass Doors?

Post by Breck »

In many of the designs I've seen browsing this forum, sliding glass doors are used in place of a conventional door and window. What kind do you use? Who makes them? How expensive are they? How good an STC do they have? Do you have to "double them up", that is, put a sliding door set on each wall of a double- built wall?
Any answers will be greatly appreciated!
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

look for these features
sliding_door1_917.jpg
a well designed sliding glass door can give you around 33db STC. Two will give you adequate isolation and excellent communication. :)

cheers
john
Breck

Post by Breck »

Thank you!
spiro

Post by spiro »

We have a similer sliding door arrangment in our studio in london, with just that design exept we have used 2 double glassed doors spaced about 2' feet apart, the benefit we have found is greater isolation, plus we can use the space as a small iso-both.

It works very well and has done for about 23 years , however the felt bits had to be replased a few years ago,
we use the area between the sliding doors as a spare vox both with its headphone /power and tie lines etc
i would high recommend it too (speeking only as an installation guy you understand
Last edited by spiro on Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones »

Double pane seems like it would be better.
Still, they need to have all the criteria John mentioned.

Something like this:

:D :D

cfuehrer

Post by cfuehrer »

What about this door design from Anderson?
Peace,

Carl Fuehrer
Pulsar Audio Lab
http://www.pulsaraudiolab.com
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Carl, those look like a good design hardware-wise - do they list an STC rating? Do you have a link to that information? Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
cfuehrer

Post by cfuehrer »

Peace,

Carl Fuehrer
Pulsar Audio Lab
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Carl, finally found their spec sheet - they only claim STC 31, I've had people talk about sliders up to 37 or so. I'd look around more.

In fact, I think Michael's doors were up in that range, how 'bout it Michael?
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
cfuehrer

Post by cfuehrer »

knightfly wrote:they only claim STC 31, I've had people talk about sliders up to 37 or so. I'd look around more.
What is the manufactuer/brand?
Peace,

Carl Fuehrer
Pulsar Audio Lab
Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones »

Sorry. I just got in from caulking. My siding guys finished up today, so, I'm in right behind them caulking seams. That's going to be a multi-day job!

As for the doors: I think the manufacturer is Autumn Wood But, I'll have to check. I never could find an STC rating for this door, but the cross-section looks remarkably similar to the one you posted, EXCEPT, my sliders are double pane, gas filled. The panes are different thicknesses too 1/4" and 3/8" I believe.
Andersen makes a great product, if a little pricey, but I'd look for a double pane door if that one's not. I'm doubling them up too.