soffit unit?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

rsb

soffit unit?

Post by rsb »

on the attached image you have seen before the proposed corner units. My thoughts on construction are to take mdf and build a floor to ceiling box like at the seacollege site except no angle.

Build the hanging pannels or jusy fill the bottom with insulation and out a port at the top and bottom of the soffit ( inside ) I have the Event 20/20 bas and do not want too much heat back there.

Thoughts suggestions?
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Try this as a system for mounting with a powered speaker unit. This allows for a clear airflow.

cheers
John
rsb

thanks John

Post by rsb »

Do you feel in my setup this is worth it? Or should I just stick with stands? I am willing to do either.

Thanks
Ryan
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Ryan - if you can afford to do it you'll be delighted with the result :):)

cheers
John
Oliver Sheen

Post by Oliver Sheen »

Now I'm really confused :?

I can see the benefits of soffit mounting so I thought I'd contact my monitor manufacturer (Dynaudio BM15a's) and they said DON'T!!
The increse in bass response without a 6dB low end rolloff facility on the BM15a's would make them sound pretty bad. And you would need some clever eq'ing to get them sounding right.

Does soffit mounting create more problems than it solve? Who's right John or dynaudio!
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Ok Oliver - I say I'm right and they are right OK? well lets look at speaker calibration - I may need help here barefoot :):)

Originally speakers were measured by setting them flush to the ground, i.e digging a hole and placing the speaker in flush to the ground in an open paddock. A mic was then hung above and the response calibrated. In other words it was soffit mounted into the ground.

The along came the nearfield monitor and manufacturers like your BM15a's decided to add a low end boost to their speakers so they would sound 'flat' in free standing environments so if you now soffit mount them this added low end boost becomes a problem, a problem your speakers have built in. No wonder they say "don't soffit mount them"
I'm not saying they are wrong or I am right, I'm saying because of what they've done, don't!

barefoot will be able to elaborate further :)

cheers
John
Oliver Sheen

Post by Oliver Sheen »

Sorry, John. I didn'y mean to push it to a "who's right or wrong" situation. I'd just come back from a pretty tough gig. loads of youngsters wanting the latest hits and not really interested in Billy joel numbers.

Forgive? :cry:
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Forgive? of course- I really meant what I said -barefoot will be able to elaborate more for you. It's become a mojor issue with these nearfield monitors with each company trying to give a better bass response free standing.

did you hear the story of the piano player doing the first night gig in a club. (I got this from HR.com) as he was playing a heavy mafiosa walked in with the bevy of chicks. he walked up to the piano player and said "can you play 'strangers in the night in 5/4' I'm sorry said the piano player, it's not in 5/4 - the heavy pulled a gun on him and said play it my way, which he did, naturally - the heavy then picked up the mike and sang " strangers in the fucking night"

cheers
John
LDQ

Question for John,

Post by LDQ »

John,

I am going to be constructing my speaker soffit just like the diagram you attached to this thread but I have one question. Since I have some space to work with in the front corners....would it be a good idead to put some hangers in those corners as well...if I make the speaker soffit small enough then I think I can put 7' long hangers. Should I do that or not...if you answer is NO...then what do I do with that space....fill it with insulation :?: :?:

Let me know

Check out the attachement too see what I am talking about.

Regards,

Luis.
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Luis - I would have thought that area is part of the slots you are going to build?? You will have hangers below I assume?

cheers
JOhn
LDQ

Post by LDQ »

Luis - I would have thought that area is part of the slots you are going to build?? You will have hangers below I assume?
John, I am not sure what you mean by that area.... are you talking under the monitors or under the splay wall slot ?? Any how...Which of the options attached is what you are talking about.... :?:

Cheers,

Luis.
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

option A Luis.

cheers
john